Museo Civico Archeologico della Civiltà Etrusca
This museum was inaugurated in 1864 and exhibits an important collection of coins, artifacts, jewels and objects of common use found in the necropolis of Pitigliano.
In about two centuries, a precious heritage of archaeological finds from the necropolis of Sovana and Pitigliano has been cataloged and exhibited in this small but important museum.
Unfortunately for some decades the museum was closed and was reopened to the public only in 1995, with the addition of the Vaselli collection, coming from the nearby necropolis of Poggio Buco.
The exhibits tell the story of the Etruscan people in the Maremma area between the end of the Bronze Age and the third century BC.
The finds donated by the Vaselli family come from the Necropolis of Poggio Buco and are the result of an excavation campaign commissioned by Adele Vaselli herself between 1955 and 1960.
The collection, of inestimable value, is composed of vases with geometric decorations, Etruscan-Corinthian vases, probably used for water, and dating back to the first half of the sixth century BC.
The museum also houses further finds from the other necropolises of the Tufo area, the Martinucci collection, which mainly includes ceramics (the collection was also housed at the National Archaeological Museum of Florence).